|By Business Wire||
|February 17, 2017 01:30 PM EST|
HealthCore Inc. and LiveHealth Online today announced the results of a new study sponsored by Anthem, Inc. and published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research (Vol 19, No 2 (2017): February). The results found that LiveHealth Online virtual video visits with doctors resolve medical issues for minor ailments, such as sinus infections, pink eye and ear ache, just as well as face-to-face visits with a healthcare provider. The study is the first to broadly explore the quality of virtual video visits.
“Based on our review of published literature and anecdotal experiences, people have questioned whether doctors practicing virtually can appropriately treat illnesses in the absence of physical interaction with their patients,” said Andrea DeVries, senior author of the study and staff vice president of research at HealthCore. “This study demonstrates that they can when treating several minor ailments among people who do not have chronic conditions.”
Researchers examined claims submitted by consumers who have a covered telehealth benefit for visits using LiveHealth Online. They looked at 11 of the most common telehealth diagnoses and discovered that most patients had similar numbers of follow-up visits as those who saw a provider at an urgent health care clinic, retail health clinic, emergency department or doctor’s office for the same types of ailments. Also, patients who had video visits with doctors via LiveHealth Online had fewer hospitalizations and emergency department visits within a three–week period after their telehealth visit than those who saw providers in a urgent care clinic, emergency department or doctor’s office.
“By using follow-up visits as a proxy for misdiagnoses or treatment failures, we can tell consumers are getting resolution to their health concerns through video visits because they are not then going on to have face-to-face visits with other providers,” said John Jesser, president of LiveHealth Online. “The outcome of this research is a great step in boosting confidence among consumers that a telehealth visit using LiveHealth Online is an effective way to manage a minor health issue when they cannot get to their regular doctor.”
The study analyzed insurance claims data with service dates between January 1, 2014 and May 11, 2015 on the following conditions over a three-week period beginning with the claim for the first visit: sinusitis, upper respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, pink eye, bronchitis, sore throat, influenza, cough, dermatitis, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea and ear ache. Approximately 4,600 virtual visits using LiveHealth Online were examined in addition to 55,310 visits to in person locations at urgent care clinics, retail health clinics, emergency departments or doctor’s offices.
About LiveHealth Online
LiveHealth® Online is a leading telehealth tool providing consumers with convenient access to U.S.-based board-certified doctors and licensed therapists via live video chat on their smartphone, tablet or computer with a webcam. Healthcare providers using LiveHealth® Online can diagnose, treat and write a prescription. Since its launch in 2013, hundreds of thousands of consumers have signed up for and had video visits using LiveHealth Online with registrations and usage growing daily. LiveHealth® Online is the trade name of Health Management Corporation. For more information, visit LiveHealthOnline.com.
HealthCore Inc., www.healthcore.com, uses real world data, including claims information, to provide clinical and other scientific expertise and research services to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and device industries, in the conduct of industry-sponsored safety, health economic outcomes, comparative effectiveness, epidemiological and late stage research projects. HealthCore’s capabilities include retrospective database design and analysis, prospective observational research design and analysis, safety and epidemiologic research services, post authorization safety study (PASS), health services research, patient and/or provider survey development and implementation, and general research consultation.
- 10 millones de euros en la serie B de la ronda de financiación: Michelin invierte en la plataforma de autocaravanas Campanda
- Global Internet of Things Devices Market 2017-2021 with Samsung Electronics, Google, LG Electronics, Sony, Seiko Epson & Honeywell International Dominating - Research and Markets
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Silver Spring Networks to Present at the 29th Annual ROTH Conference
- La plateforme de médiation de données d’IoT ThingPark X d’Actility fait ses débuts avec le premier déploiement connectant l’entrepôt de RS Components au Cloud Intelligence d’IBM
- Enterprise Holdings Fraud Victim Travels to Capitol Hill to U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s Office to Discuss Legislative Changes for Rental Car Industry
- $94.44 Billion Internet of Things (IoT) In Retail Market Analysis By Solution, Hardware, Service, Technology 2014 - 2025 - Research and Markets
- Top 5 Vendors in the Education Data Security Market from 2017 to 2021: Technavio
- Tradeshift Acquires IBX Business Network to Create World's Largest Business Commerce Platform
- NFS cherche à être coté en bourse Via une Fusion avec la Société Allemande Cotée en Bourse HPI AG
- NTT DATA Awarded Contract by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Global Industrial Monitors Market to Grow at a CAGR of 2.61%, 2017-2021, with AAEON, Advantech, Hope Industrial Systems, Rockwell Automation & Siemens - Research and Markets
- Volkswagen choisit Sierra Wireless pour ses véhicules connectés de nouvelle génération
- Enquête ISACA : L'écart lié aux compétences en matière de cybersécurité rend vulnérable une organisation sur quatre pendant six mois ou plus
- Bureau Veritas présente en avant première sa nouvelle approche disruptive des essais de cybersécurité et ses nouvelles solutions de tests pour vêtements connectés au Mobile Word Congress
- Silver Spring Networks to Host Conference Call to Discuss Changes to its non-GAAP Financial Reporting on February 13
- Telehop Communications Inc. to Trade as ADYA on the TSX
- TL Plastic Surgery: "The Perfect Solution for 'V Line Shaped Face' Through TL Power V Lift"
- BravoSolution Positioned as a Leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Strategic Sourcing Applications
- Accenture Helps Australian Department of Defence Deliver New Codification System to Enhance Logistics and Supply Chain
- Panasonic: World's First*1 Organic CMOS Image Sensor with Electrically Controllable Near-Infrared Light Sensitivity
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Red Hat U.S. Public Sector Chief Technology Strategist to Speak at NC Datapolooza
- Zynga’s FarmVille Becomes Largest and Fastest Growing Social Game Ever
- TimeTrade Releases “Click to Schedule” Module for Drupal
- Kaavo Releases Web Application for Easy Access to Cloud Computing
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- IBC 2009 Exhibitor Profiles
- Zmanda and Sun Partner to Provide Cloud Backup
- Boost Mobile Ofrece Nuevos Telefonos Celulares Sin Contrato Sobre La Red Nacional De Sprint Con El Plan Mensual Sin Límite
- VMware Virtualization on the iPhone