|By Business Wire||
|January 4, 2012 09:11 AM EST||
Yahoo! Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO), the premier digital media company, today announced the appointment of Scott Thompson as Chief Executive Officer, effective January 9, 2012, at which time Tim Morse will resume his role as Chief Financial Officer. Thompson has also been appointed to the Company’s Board of Directors, effective January 9, 2012.
Thompson served most recently as President of PayPal, a division of eBay, where he continued his established track record of growing businesses by driving customer engagement built on strong technology platforms. Under his leadership, PayPal solidified its lead as the global online payment service, expanding its user base from 50 million to more than 104 million active users in 190 countries worldwide, increasing the number of merchant partners to more than 8 million globally, and growing revenues from $1.8 billion to $4+ billion in 2011.
“Scott brings to Yahoo! a proven record of building on a solid foundation of existing assets and resources to reignite innovation and drive growth, precisely the formula we need at Yahoo!,” said Roy Bostock, Chairman of the Yahoo! Board. “His deep understanding of online businesses combined with his team building and operational capabilities will restore the energy, focus, and momentum necessary to grow the core business and deliver increased value for our shareholders. The search committee and the entire Board concluded that he is the right leader to return the core business to a path of robust growth and industry-leading innovation.”
“Yahoo! is an industry icon and I am very excited about the prospect of working with one of the great teams in the online world to deliver Yahoo!’s next era of success,” Mr. Thompson said. “Yahoo! has a rich history and a solid foundation to build on, and its continued user engagement is one of the many reasons for my enthusiasm. With the ultimate goal of delivering the value our shareholders expect, my immediate focus will be on getting to know the entire team and hearing more from all Yahoo!s, working closely with the engineers and product teams, and diving deeply into our products and services to learn more about what our more than 700 million users find most engaging and useful. I will also be working directly with our region leaders and sales teams globally to get a clearer understanding of the needs of our advertisers and publishers. Clearly, speed is important but we will attack both the opportunity ahead and the competitive challenges with an appropriate balance of urgency and thoughtfulness. I cannot wait to get started.”
“Scott’s primary focus will be on the core business, and as CEO and director, he will work closely with the Board as we continue the strategic review process to identify the best approaches for the Company and its shareholders. As part of this process, Yahoo! is considering a wide range of opportunities for the Company’s business, as well as specific investments or dispositions of assets,” added Bostock.
“We are all grateful to Tim Morse for leading the company with a steady hand during the last several months. His deep understanding of the Company and his positive approach kept the company on course and we will continue to benefit from his exceptional capabilities as he returns to his Chief Financial Officer role,” Bostock concluded.
Scott Thompson Biographical Information
Scott Thompson has a record of deep industry experience, having most recently served as President of PayPal with overall responsibility for establishing that company as the leading global online payment service. He previously served as PayPal's Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. Prior to PayPal, Mr. Thompson was Executive Vice President of technology solutions at Inovant, a subsidiary of Visa formed to oversee global technology for the organization. Thompson was also Chief Information Officer of Barclays Global Investors, where he implemented a new strategic technology platform and global infrastructure. In addition, he worked with Coopers and Lybrand, delivering information technology solutions to leading financial services clients.
Conference Call and Webcast Information
Yahoo! will host a conference call to discuss today’s announcement at 10 a.m. Eastern Time today. A live webcast of the conference call can be accessed through the Company’s Investor Relations website at http://investor.yahoo.net/. The dial-in number for the live conference call is (877) 218-7860. Participants calling from outside the United States may dial (857) 244-7400. The passcode 60719359# is required to access the call. In addition, an archive of the webcast can be accessed through the same link. An audio replay of the call will be available for one week following the conference call by calling (888) 286-8010 or (617) 801-6888, passcode: 53109628
Yahoo! is the premier digital media company, creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. And Yahoo!'s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.net) or the company's blog, Yodel Anecdotal (yodel.yahoo.com).
Yahoo! is the trademark and/or registered trademark of Yahoo! Inc. All other names are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements (including without limitation the quotations from our Chairman and management) concerning Yahoo!'s future management, strategic plans, growth opportunities and performance. Risks and uncertainties may cause actual results to differ materially from the results predicted. The potential risks and uncertainties include, among others, the impact of management and organizational changes; the implementation and results of any strategic plans as well as Yahoo!'s ongoing strategic and cost initiatives; Yahoo!'s ability to compete with new or existing competitors; reduction in spending by, or loss of, advertising customers; the demand by customers for Yahoo!'s premium services; interruptions or delays in the provision of Yahoo!'s services; security breaches; acceptance by users of new products and services; risks related to joint ventures and the integration of acquisitions; risks related to Yahoo!'s international operations; failure to manage growth and diversification; adverse results in litigation, including intellectual property infringement claims and recent derivative and class actions related to Alipay; Yahoo!'s ability to protect its intellectual property and the value of its brands; dependence on key personnel; dependence on third parties for technology, services, content, and distribution; general economic conditions and changes in economic conditions; transition and implementation risks associated with the Search Agreement with Microsoft Corporation; and risks that the benefits of the Framework Agreement Yahoo! entered into with Alibaba Group, Softbank Corporation and certain other parties regarding Alipay may not be realized. All information set forth in this press release and its attachments is as of January 4, 2012. Yahoo! does not intend, and undertakes no duty, to update this information to reflect subsequent events or circumstances. More information about potential factors that could affect Yahoo!'s business and financial results is included under the captions "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" in Yahoo!'s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2010, and the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2011, which are on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") and available at the SEC's website at www.sec.gov.
- Research and Markets: Over-the-Top (OTT) Internet Television: 2014 - A Detailed Analysis of a Major, Emerging Market
- Research and Markets: Turkey Mobile and Fixed Telecom and Pay-TV Markets Report 2014: Infrastructure Sharing and M2M Services to Support Revenue Growth
- Univeral Music Enterprises Announces Free Virtual Concert of the Smashing Pumpkins’ 1998 Fox Theater Show from Atlanta, Georgia, in Support of Adore Reissue
- XLMedia plc (“XLMedia” or “the Group”) Acquisition of a Social Gaming Marketing Company
- Motorola Solutions’ MOTOTRBO™ digital radio network lets sailing enthusiasts race safely at the Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships
- Appfire and Tasktop Partner to Drive Atlassian JIRA Integration and Visibility Across the Enterprise
- Avira Identity Safeguard Allows iOS and Android Users to Check if Email Address Was Impacted by Gmail Breach
- Research and Markets: ICT investment trends in Brazil - Enterprise ICT spending patterns through to the end of 2015
- BitPay Opens Larger Amsterdam Office
- CloudBees to Host Continuous Delivery and Jenkins Events, Participate in Industry Conferences Throughout Europe, U.S.
- Veris Group, LLC, Names David L. McClure as Chief Strategist
- Leading Event Hire Company Secures Dot London Web Address with Easyspace
- Overture Harmony NFV Partner Ecosystem Welcomes New Members
- Expanding Travel and Leisure Company Selects Ultimate Software’s UltiPro for Scalable Technology, Unified Suite of Human Capital Management
- Research and Markets: Global IT Services Market 2014-2018 with CSC, Fujitsu, HP & IBM Dominating
- Naspers: Results of Annual General Meeting
- Research and Markets: Over-the-Top (OTT) Internet Television: 2014 - A Detailed Analysis of a Major, Emerging Market
- Nexenta Delivers Most Advanced Software-Defined Storage Solutions for All-Flash Arrays, VMware Horizon 6.0, and VMware Virtual SAN at VMworld 2014
- Veeva to Participate in Upcoming Investor Conference
- IAB Mixx Awards 2014 Shortlist Showcases the Best in Digital Marketing Creativity That Works
- Citrix Executive to Present at Upcoming Investor Conference
- Leading European Energy Supplier Powers Its Business With Nexenta Software-Defined Storage
- WSO2 Positioned in the “Visionaries” Quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for On-Premises Application Integration Suites
- Research and Markets: Business Document Work Process Management (BPO) Report: Market Shares, Strategies, and Forecasts, Worldwide, 2014 to 2020
- CSC and IBM Expanding Alliance to Speed Clients’ Adoption of Hybrid Cloud, Mobile and Big Data
- IDC Health Insights Evaluates Cloud Adoption Trends in Chinese Health Industry
- Emoji to Be the Keynote Topic for the 38th Internationalization and Unicode Conference
- Ask Tarkan Maner Anything - Nexenta CEO Participates in 2nd Reddit.com AMA to Discuss How Open Source and Software-Defined Everything Technologies Are Changing Our World
- ManageEngine Automates Google Apps Provisioning, Enhances Office 365 Reporting in ADManager Plus
- CORRECTING and REPLACING Parallels Announces Parallels Desktop® 10 for Mac with OS X Yosemite Integration, Enables to Launch Office Applications Up to 50 Percent Faster and Delivers Up to 30 Percent Better Battery Life
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Red Hat U.S. Public Sector Chief Technology Strategist to Speak at NC Datapolooza
- Zynga’s FarmVille Becomes Largest and Fastest Growing Social Game Ever
- TimeTrade Releases “Click to Schedule” Module for Drupal
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- Kaavo Releases Web Application for Easy Access to Cloud Computing
- IBC 2009 Exhibitor Profiles
- Boost Mobile Ofrece Nuevos Telefonos Celulares Sin Contrato Sobre La Red Nacional De Sprint Con El Plan Mensual Sin Límite
- Zmanda and Sun Partner to Provide Cloud Backup
- VMware Virtualization on the iPhone
- 22nd Annual ROTH OC Growth Stock Conference Presenter Profiles
- Research and Markets: The Development of the Smart Grid in the U.S. - Thorough Understanding of What the Smart Grid is and the Changes It Will Bring to the U.S. Electric Industry
- Citrix XenServer Virtualization a Surprise Hit with Fortune 500 Companies
- 2013 International CES Exhibitor Profiles: A through M
- Adobe Summit 2014 – The Digital Marketing Conference Registration Now Open