|By Business Wire||
|March 30, 2011 08:01 AM EDT||
Overwatch, an operating unit of Textron Systems, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, announced today that its SoldierEyes smartphone-enabled analysis and battle tracking system will be a part of various upcoming U.S. Army field tests of smartphones, network equipment and applications. These tests are in support of the Army's Brigade Modernization initiatives, following Overwatch’s more than eighteen months of support of the U.S. Army’s 2nd Brigade, 1st Armor Division of the Brigade Modernization Command (BMC). A goal of the BCM is to evolve the SoldierEyes system to address the situational awareness needs of soldiers in full-spectrum operations.
“SoldierEyes is an outstanding example of the next generation of tools available to the individual warfighter,” said Mike McCarthy, director of Operations, Brigade Modernization Command, TRADOC, U.S. Army. “The SoldierEyes technology has produced very relevant and open, smartphone-enabled services and applications that may be easily tailored to meet the needs of the Army.”
SoldierEyes is fully operable within government fielded communications environments such as 3G/4G cellular and WiFi. In remote areas of the globe, where reliable connections are non-existent, SoldierEyes devices and systems are able to connect via the new FASTCOM technology co-developed by Overwatch and Textron Systems’ AAI Unmanned Aircraft Systems division in partnership with ViaSat Inc. FASTCOM is a mobile, secure battlefield cellular network that can be hosted on manned and unmanned aircraft, aerostats, masts or ground vehicles. Leveraging FASTCOM, SoldierEyes users are enabled with secure, mobile network connectivity even in the most austere tactical environments.
“The next generation of tools that SoldierEyes provides will serve to heighten warfighters’ ability to gain and maintain situational awareness throughout all phases of a combat mission. It is a system that tracks across all six warfighting functions: movement and maneuver, fires, intelligence, sustainment, command and control, and protection,” added Col. Marisa Tanner, division chief, Future Force Integration Directorate, TRADOC, U.S. Army.
The benefits of SoldierEyes are two-fold. First, the system provides soldiers with fused information that is populated to form a critical and more relevant common operation picture. This provides the soldier at the tactical edge greatly enhanced situational awareness and situational understanding whenever needed and wherever they are located. Through the integration of mobile technology and application services, SoldierEyes delivers real-time mission centric situational awareness to the warfighter. Viewing each warfighter as a sensor, SoldierEyes provides handheld capabilities for collecting, reporting and communicating mission critical geo-referenced information (video, reports, photos and more) between the soldier and existing command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems.
Secondly, the SoldierEyes system provides an open architecture environment that may be rapidly and continuously updated and improved through third party application development and deployment. The advantage of this system is that it will enable the Army to maximize the reuse of basic services and programs of record while leveraging the power of a large, certified third party development community to rapidly and efficiently address evolving mission needs. This approach provides existing government systems the benefit of fielding new operational applications, access to richer information, and a pathway to a relevant and timely common operating picture from the soldier to every echelon above.
SoldierEyes uses cloud architecture which is designed to operate on existing Government servers and to support any Internet Protocol (IP) enabled client, such as smartphones, tablets and personal computers. This design flexibility allows SoldierEyes to provide utility irrespective of the communications architecture, security protocols, client platforms, as well as various tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs) employed by the U.S. Army.
“The SoldierEyes Application Cloud manages the movement of information between the soldier, analysis applications and large Army databases. It fully supports a collaborative approach with its open Application Protocol Interface, or API, and available services, such as map servers, standard symbology database and more,” said Overwatch Senior Program Manager Evan Corwin. “To demonstrate the open architecture, the SoldierEyes API has been shared with various third party developers who have easily merged new and existing data sources, sensors, applications, services and cell phone applications with the system. This unique approach highlights the flexibility and growth potential of the system among third party developers.”
Later this year Overwatch will deploy the SoldierEyes system as a member of the FASTCOM team and participant in Empire Challenge 2011, as well as participate in large scale exercises with the U.S. Army’s full-up Armor Brigade at the White Sands Missile Range. Numerous lab and field capability demonstrations and evaluations of the system are also planned throughout the year.
Overwatch, an operating unit of Textron Systems, is the leading provider of integrated intelligence software solutions and services as well as robust satellite communications systems for today’s U.S. and international defense and intelligence communities. For the past 20 years, Overwatch’s intelligence solutions have supported decision makers, counter-terrorism analysts, warfighters and first responders by providing proven tools that simplify the integration, analysis and exploitation of intelligence in order to present a complete operational picture and accelerate the time-to-decision. More information is available at www.overwatch.com.
AAI Corporation and its indirect wholly owned subsidiaries Aerosonde Pty Ltd and ESL Defence Limited design, produce and support industry-leading aerospace and defense products and services, including unmanned aircraft and ground control technologies; high-fidelity training and simulation systems; automated aerospace test and maintenance equipment; armament systems; and logistical, engineering, supply chain and operational support services. AAI Corporation is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Textron Inc. More information is available at http://www.aaicorp.com.
About ViaSat Inc.
ViaSat produces innovative satellite and other digital communication products that enable fast, secure, and efficient communications to virtually any location. The company provides networking products and managed network services for enterprise IP applications; network-centric military communications and encryption technologies and products to the U.S. government; gateway and customer-premises equipment for consumer and mobile satellite broadband services; and owns WildBlue, the premier Ka-band satellite broadband service provider. More information is available at http://www.viasat.com.
About Textron Systems
Textron Systems Corporation has been providing innovative solutions to the defense, homeland security and aerospace communities for more than 50 years. Known for its unmanned aircraft systems, advanced marine craft, armored vehicles, intelligent battlefield and surveillance systems, intelligence software solutions, precision smart weapons, piston engines, test and training systems, and total life cycle sustainment services, Textron Systems includes AAI Corporation, Lycoming Engines, Overwatch, Textron Defense Systems and Textron Marine & Land Systems. Textron Systems Corporation is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Textron Inc. More information is available at www.textronsystems.com.
About Textron Inc.
Textron Inc. is a multi-industry company that leverages its global network of aircraft, defense, industrial and finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron is known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft Company, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, and Textron Systems. More information is available at www.textron.com.
Certain statements in this press release are forward-looking statements which may project revenues or describe strategies, goals, outlook or other non-historical matters; these statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements. These statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause our actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Changing priorities or reductions in the U.S. Government defense budget, including those related to ongoing military operations in foreign countries;
- Performance issues with key suppliers, subcontractors and business partners; and
- The efficacy of research and development investments to develop new products and unanticipated expenses in connection with the launching of significant new products or programs.
- Accelerate Learning Inc. Announces Exclusive Partnership with Twig World Ltd. to Provide 1,000+ STEM Videos Through the Award-Winning STEMscopes Online Curriculum
- Dassault Systèmes Names Raoul Jacquand CEO of GEOVIA
- Rakuten Deploys Box as Its Internal Content Sharing Platform
- RealPage Elects Kathryn V. Marinello to Board of Directors, Audit Committee and Compensation Committee
- Panasonic présente des solutions informatiques médicales innovantes conçues par Medicom au salon International Modern Hospital Show 2015
- MakeMusic Acquires Weezic
- Fiserv Clients in Asia Pacific Recognized for Excellence with Industry Awards
- Standard Chartered Saves Energy Costs, Improves Sustainability Through CommScope’s Redwood Building Intelligence Platform
- Revel Systems and Zapper Partner to Dish Up Fully Integrated Mobile Payment Solution for Restaurants
- Fluidigm Revolutionizes In Vitro Modeling for Stem Cell Researchers and Cell Biologists
- 80 Percent of Business and Tech Leaders Say Artificial Intelligence Creates Jobs, Increases Productivity
- Stream Technologies IoT-X™ Platform Helps JT Reach Global Clients
- Research and Markets: Global Oil and Gas Data Management Market 2015-2020: Information Technology Infrastructure, Data Organization, and Service Analysis of the $21 Billion Market
- Global ICT Comes Together in Taipei for COMPUTEX
- As Enterprises Churn Out Applications, Prevoty Offers Monitoring Solution to Protect Them
- UNITED, Inc.'s SSP "AdStir" and Turn Launch RTB Integration
- CORRECTING and REPLACING T-Mobile Goes All in for LGBT Pride, Supports Events in 20 States Nationwide
- Media Alert: Gartner Announces Security & Risk Management Summit
- Research and Markets: Flat Panel Display Market: Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity Assessment 2015-2020
- SK Hynix Ramps Production of High Bandwidth Memory
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Red Hat U.S. Public Sector Chief Technology Strategist to Speak at NC Datapolooza
- Zynga’s FarmVille Becomes Largest and Fastest Growing Social Game Ever
- TimeTrade Releases “Click to Schedule” Module for Drupal
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- Kaavo Releases Web Application for Easy Access to Cloud Computing
- IBC 2009 Exhibitor Profiles
- Boost Mobile Ofrece Nuevos Telefonos Celulares Sin Contrato Sobre La Red Nacional De Sprint Con El Plan Mensual Sin Límite
- Zmanda and Sun Partner to Provide Cloud Backup
- VMware Virtualization on the iPhone